The historic building of the Sergievo Podvorie in the centre of Jerusalem? One of the most valuable objects belonging to Russia on the Holy Land, was opened after the completion of long-term restoration.
A two-storey building of stone dates back to the XIX century. It has an interior courtyard and a corner tower. The Podvorie has recently been acquired by Russia becomes a place of receipt for orthodox pilgrims again. It will have a Sunday school, a museum, a library and a mission of the oldest public society in Russia – the Russian Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (RIOPS).
First pilgrims have already arrived.
Sergievo Podvorie was built in 1886-1889 finance by RIOPS and its establisher, Grand Prince Sergei Romanov. In December 2008 it was restituted. Russia allotted $10m for repair and restoration work which lasted for two years.