Qatar should be improving safety and labor conditions for the workers employed at the construction sites of the 2022 World Cup objects much faster than it is, said FIFA president Gianni Infantino, reports Reuters.
Infantino visited Qatar on Friday, whereupon he revealed the body’s plan to set up a special working group to monitor the builders’ safety. “We will not just sit and wait”, he added.
Numerous cases of abuses within the course of Qatar's preparations for the World Cup have been detected by Amnesty International, as reflected in their report. The document is based on the accounts of 132 workers at the sites.
In particular, Amnesty International has revealed that builders who arrived from Nepal and India had been charged recruitment fees and were living in poor conditions.
Mr Infantino pointed out that Qatar is the first Arab country to host a FIFA tournament, and which supports the initiative to carry out the monitoring of working conditions at the sites.
“I very much acknowledge and appreciate the efforts which are being made. I want to see these efforts now being put in practice”, he said.