Belarusian Greek Catholics built a church in the north of London to commemorate those who perished in the result of the Chernobyl disaster, Interfax-Realty reports referring to The Catholic Herald’s website.
It has been the first wooden church since the Great Fire of London in 1666.
The church in honour of Saint Kirill Turovsky houses several dozen people. It is constructed in Belarusian traditional style. The cornerstone of the church, brought from the Holy Trinity Church in Druya, Belarus, was laid last February.
According to Nickolai Pachkaev, Head of the Belarusian Association in Great Britain, the architecture of the building is saturated in historical and cultural symbolism while also firmly embedded in UK architectural innovation.